A Healthy You: Self-Care During The Holidays
Why is it that direct care professionals often sacrifice their self-care at the altar of the other? Industry professionals seem to have an inherent prerequisite to put everyone ahead of themselves. Self-care is always essential for professional caregivers, but the extra emphasis should take center stage during the holiday season, especially with the added burden of Covid-19. Here is why self-care is essential, three ways to incorporate it into your holiday season, and how Direct Care Innovations can help in your day-to-day business operation.
The Importance of Self-Care
You probably already know this isn’t breaking news, and yet you’re still reading because you know you neglect yourself. Perhaps this year is even worse with the pandemic. The good news is that it’s never too late to incorporate a good self-care regimen, and here is why.
The Mind-Body Connection
Mental and behavioral health challenges are reportedly formidable right now as rates of suicide, anxiety, and depression are significantly higher than in 2019. A holistic approach to positive self-care provides several benefits to your overall well-being:
- It creates awareness to identify how you are doing physically, emotionally, and mentally, and this awareness allows you to identify and meet your own needs.
- It helps promote health and a general sense of peace in mind, body, and spirit.
- It acts as a point of reference to identify gaps and hold yourself accountable in your self-care routine.
- It fosters intentionally and space to practice regularly, which equips you to be your best for those you serve every day. It keeps you pouring from a full cup.
Three Ways To Practice Self-Care Over the Holidays
The holiday season adds an extra layer of stress to an already hectic 2020. Here are three ways to implement a self-care routine that will allow you to end the year strong and prepare to enter 2021 at full capacity.
- Body – Exercise 15 minutes a day, 3-4 days a week. Exercising just 15 minutes a day provides positive results to your physical health and your mental health. Exercise delivers the same benefits as taking medication but without the symptoms of anxiety and depression. It also helps with inflammation and autoimmune issues.
- Mind – Unwind. Find a way to unplug, relax your mind, and simply focus on being present in the moment. There are many ways to do this, but suggestions include unplugging your phone for 30 minutes a day, taking a warm bath, meditating, or spending quality time with a loved one – even if it’s virtual.
- Spirit – Find the good. Studies show implementing spiritual practices help with outcomes. Negativity can take over, and thoughts can spiral, which is why it’s helpful to find the good. Take a moment each day to journal a list of three-to-five things for which you’re grateful. Set your mind on positive things. Get outside in the fresh air if nature moves you, and soak in some Vitamin D.
How DCI Can Help
Once your personal care is operating and fully optimized, find out how Direct Care Innovations can make life more comfortable in your day-to-day business operations. DCI offers electronic visit verification (EVV), scheduling, billing, training, and more to help make your daily business operations easier. Contact DCI today at (480) 295-3307 for more information or to schedule a free demo!